Since going vegan, I’ve learned so many new things about myself. One is how much I love to cook. I grew up watching my mom cook but never had an interest until I went vegan. I wasn’t an adventurous eater before, but now I love experimenting, combining ingredients, and creating delicious dishes. To find inspiration, I search the internet, chat with my mom, and explore Instagram for new recipes to try and adapt to my own personal tastes.
For this week’s post, I’m sharing with you my favorite easy vegan chili recipe. This recipe is not only delicious, but if you’re like me and like to have leftovers, it sits for a few days (and only gets better with time).
This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 red or orange pepper
- 1/2 can of black beans
- 1/2 can of pinto beans
- 1/2 can of kidney beans
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn
- 1 15 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low sodium fat-free pasta sauce
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 avocado
- Green onion
- 1 lime
Tip: Add in any leftover veg you have sitting in the fridge! Peas, quinoa, lentils–throw ’em in!
- Cube and steam the sweet potato
- Bring a medium sized non-stick soup pot to medium heat and add in a splash of water, onion, garlic, and pepper
- Sautee until fragrant and translucent
- In the same pot, add the corn, steamed sweet potato, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and water if needed
- Sautee for 5-7 minutes
- Mix in the tomatoes, pasta sauce, black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans
- Bring to a low heat and cook for 10-15 minutes
- Add additional seasoning to taste
- Serve and top with avocado and green onion
What’s your favorite vegan dish? Let us know in the comments below!
Welcome to #MyVeganDiary, a series focused on living a vegan lifestyle. Follow along for Mixed Makeup producer Carly Rivlin’s cruelty-free tips on everything from beauty and skincare to recipes and more.