Here's A Healthy Alternative to Mashed Potatoes That Everyone Will Love
When I think of Thanksgiving, the first thing to pop into my head (besides turkey, of course) is mashed potatoes. While this carb-filled holiday staple is delicious, there are some amazing healthy substitutes that can taste just like — or even better than — the real thing. One of our all-time favorite recipes is cauliflower "mashed potatoes." There are a ton of recipes for this alternative, but this version from fitness lifestyle website Built Lean is our favorite because it's under 60 calories and is vegetarian-friendly. It's super simple to make: all you need is cauliflower, vegetable stock, greek yogurt, and garlic.
Hungry? Check out the full recipe below, then scroll down for one of our own yummy cauliflower recipe videos.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 cup cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper (Artisan salts, like truffle salt, work very well in this recipe.)
- Optional: chopped roasted garlic, wasabi paste, fresh or dried spices (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme)
To roast garlic, cut ¼ – ½ inch off the top of the bulb. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and bake, in a baking dish covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, checking the garlic around 20-25 minutes. It is done when the garlic is soft and the edges are beginning to brown. To use in the recipe, simply squeeze the garlic heads out and chop.
- Cook the cauliflower with the vegetable stock in a saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Transfer the cauliflower into a food processor or blender, reserving cooking liquid.
- Add the Greek yogurt and ¼ cup of reserved stock and blend until smooth, scraping down sides and adding more stock as necessary.
- Add option ingredients, if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat if needed. This can be done in the microwave or by returning the cauliflower to the saucepan and stirring over medium-low heat until it reaches your desired temperature.
For more delicious cauliflower recipes, subscribe to our Mixed Makeup Wellness channel and watch the video below to learn how to make holistic nutritionist Kelly Leveque's yummy vegan cheesy cauliflower dish: