Our Shows

FAM: For All Moms

Beauty with Susan Yara

The SASS

Plastic

How I Cleared My Acne in 5 Steps

How I Cleared My Acne in 5 Steps

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 1.34.29 PM.png

My skin and I have been through a lot. About a year and a half ago, I suddenly became acne-prone and my face was constantly covered with embarrassing breakouts. I was devastated and desperate for answers. Well, I’ve made some changes and while my skin isn’t perfect yet, the difference between then and now is unbelievable.

At the start of it all, I needed something to blame. I had great skin all my life and now, suddenly, I didn’t. I wanted it to be my B12 injections. I wanted it to be anesthesia from my surgery. I wanted it to be gluten! Or sugar! Or nuts!

I was so consumed with food theories that I took an EverlyWell ($159) food sensitivity test. I wanted the test to answer all my questions since I know a ton of people who have completely changed their skin through their diet.

EverlyWell is an at-home test that looks at your body’s response to 96 foods and measures your reactive-ness on a scale of high, moderate, mild, and low. I was really pumped about it, but when my results came back and I wasn’t highly reactive or moderately reactive to anything, I was disappointed. I should’ve been relieved, but I wanted an answer!

I was discouraged, but I wasn’t giving up. I decided to to stop fixating on the things I couldn’t control and change the things I could. 

So what did I do?

Step 1: Get Regular Facials

I kicked things off with two back-to-back facials two weeks apart with esthetician Queen Nerida Joy to give my skin the reset it desperately needed. And now I make it a priority to get a facial once a month with a few different estheticians. I most recently got a facial with Lucy Vieira at Kate Somerville Skin Clinic in Los Angeles.

I love to listen to skincare professionals and hear their philosophy on skincare, their opinions, what they think of my skin, all the good stuff. I take their suggestions to heart and it’s helped me understand my skin even more.

I know facials are a luxury, but right now it’s a necessity for me. I think everyone can benefit from regular facials, but especially someone who is struggling with their skin. I’m actually mad at myself that I didn’t start this sooner. 

Step 2: Cut Out Problematic Ingredients

I used to hop on the bandwagon of whatever skincare product was popular at the moment. I got so caught up in trying everything that I forgot we’re all different. Just because one person loves something doesn’t mean it will work for everyone.

One ingredient I found wasn’t working for me is vitamin C. One esthetician I saw told me she never recommends vitamin C for her acne-prone clients. She said for 80 percent of people, vitamin C is the absolute best skincare ingredient in the world, but for the other 20 percent, it’s the complete opposite.

I’ve learned that my skin just can’t handle it, so I had to abandon my beloved Sunday Riley C.E.O Serum.  And it’s made a huge difference.

Step 3: Add In Better Ingredients

Retinol, I’m talking to you. I love you. 

After a year of trying a ton of over-the-counter retinol products, I finally found the one: Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol Cream ($74). It’s seriously a game changer. I like that it’s strong at 1 percent and has a cream-like consistency. There’s also some other delicious ingredients in it like a triple peptide blend and vitamin F.

Step 4: Get a New Pillowcase

Pillowcases have a bad rep with acne, especially if you’re a face sleeper. So I did a little research and found Silvon and their acne-fighting pillowcases ($35) a few months ago. The self-proclaimed “bedding for better skin” had me hooked right away and I needed to get my hands on it. They’re made of pure silver and organic breathable cotton which naturally eliminates bacteria. In fact, their website claims that silver eliminates 99 percent of acne-causing bacteria.

Sounds amazing right? Full review coming soon!

Step 5: Try Not to Stress

And that includes trying not to hide acne behind hair and makeup. Old habits die hard, but I try not to wear my hair down and in my face when I have a breakout. And I wear less concealer to the gym. My goal is to get to the place where I love my skin, even if it isn’t flawless, airbrushed perfection.

Do you have any acne-fighting tips? Let me know in the comments and watch my facial with Nerida Joy below!

Nasya: An Ayurvedic Treatment for Nasal Congestion

Nasya: An Ayurvedic Treatment for Nasal Congestion

PSA: Stop Using Coconut Oil in Your Skincare Routine

PSA: Stop Using Coconut Oil in Your Skincare Routine